Santa Fe 1492 – Diner
This diner was built by the Budd Company in 1942 for the AT&SF (Santa Fe) RR. It was part of the SUPER CHIEF in the 1940’s, the CHIEF in the 1950’s, and finally the TEXAS CHIEF in the 1960’s.
Previous owners include the Santa Fe RR (No. 1492) and Amtrak (No. 8037). Howard Thornton of Midwest Travel acquired the car and named it Soonerland II. It was used for several excursions around Watonga, OK, in the 1990’s.
The Oklahoma Centennial Commission funded the last refurbishment in 2006. Museum member Harry Currie donated this car to the ORM in 2011. It is currently named “OCU Star Express.”